Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Why I Hate Colorado

Have you ever met someone and within 10 minutes you knew you needed them in your life? The kind of person that is VERY different from you but at the same time encourages you to be the best version of yourself? I believe wholeheartedly that people are placed in my life for seasons. In June of 2011, a name came across my email and I had no idea the impact that this person would make on my life. At the time, he was living across the country and we had never met. In July of that year, I drove to Intercontinental Airport in Houston and met my new friend in person for the first time. He talked funny. Being from Chicago will do that to you. He always has a water bottle nearby. I don't drink much water. He likes hockey and knew very little about southern college football. All of these things were pointing in the wrong direction.

He looked curiously at my car decor, which included references to Jesus with colorful language. He thought the Evil Queen floating head in the passenger seat was mildly disturbing. And then we started laughing. Looking back on it, I'm quite certain that in many of our initial conversations the laughter was aimed at me, but I can see why.  I'm entertaining.

This friend moved to Texas in early 2012 to be our pastor. The first year was educational for both of us. He learned to embrace my sarcastic and naturally negative outlook. I gave him grief about capri pants for men. We spent many an hour at Starbucks as he learned the ways of Texas church-isms. I loved his naive and yet wise approach to the modern church. Most of all, I loved the way he questioned things that seemed unquestionable in my mind. Some of them, he has never embraced and I adore that about him.

While our coffee/tea conversations have been heavily church related, we have shared many a laugh and sometimes a tear about our lives and families and challenges. We have talked books and authors. We have critiqued each other's teachings. We have pushed each other to think in new ways. More than once we have had hard conversations where I have been called to change for the better. I can count on one hand the people that I trust enough to call me out on things in every area of my life and he is certainly on that list.

Six years ago, I had no idea that I was meeting someone that would forever change the landscape of who I am as a pastor, teacher, leader, mentor, mom and friend. He's the kind of encourager that never forgets the things that matter to you. He's the kind of spouse that I want to take lessons from. He's the kind of student of life that I want to sit in a class with. And, he's the kind of friend that I am thankful to call mine.

These pesky leadings of the Holy Spirit to follow God's call are my nemesis in dear friendship! Why must we listen when we are called to the next season? Colorado is not that exciting. Who needs snow and mountains and adventure? Use your gifts and talents to serve the Church in Texas. We know we are weird and people I love should want to stay here forever. Amen.

That is where I find myself this week.

Today, I had a Tex-Mex going away lunch with my friend. I'm struggling with this goodbye not because I will miss him teaching me on Sunday, which I will, but because he has changed me. Leading the Church alongside my friend has reminded me why I believe in the Church and why we cannot let go of who we are called to be. Being called to personal wholeness by my friend has forced me to value play and laughter and positivity. He has not convinced me that being outside is wonderful or that working out is fun or that I should drink water from a bottle. But, he has made a mark on me in this season that I cannot deny.

He also hates that I have just written this and that's just one more reason that I had to do it. I will be gone on his final Sunday at ECL, so I can't say it from the stage. I also could not string together three sentences at lunch without tearing up, so there is that. It is rare that you are gifted a friend like Matt Boyle. He is class. He is grace. He is just plain good. May these words honor my friend and remind us all that precious, solid friendships are truly a gift from the one who desires for us to live in the beauty of community.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 12: The Gift of Calling

As I prepared to go off to Baylor, I had done all that I could think of to serve my local church. I believed in the call of the Church from ...